How to Manage Co-Parenting in New York with a Narcissistic Ex-Spouse
Maybe you decided to divorce your spouse because they had quite the personality. A personality that can be defined as narcissistic. Narcissistic personalities are very difficult to handle for several reasons. For one, they only think of themselves and their own needs.
A narcissistic ex usually has an excessive need for attention, and they also lack empathy.
Depending on the type of narcissist they happen to be, they may be even more challenging to deal with when it comes to co-parenting.
5 Ways to Manage Co-Parenting in New York with a Narcissistic Ex
1) Set Boundaries: Boundaries are going to be essential when it comes to dealing with a narcissistic ex. Your ex may like to push the boundaries, but it is important to call out unacceptable behavior as it happens. When you do call out the bad behavior, it is important to speak in a calm but firm tone.
2) Focus on the Parenting Plan: Keep the focus on developing a highly structured parenting plan. This will be instrumental to having a systematic method to handle co-parenting. Make sure that parenting schedules, holidays, and vacations are outlined in great detail. The more detailed the parenting plan is, the less room there will be for misunderstandings and miscommunication.
3) Consult a New York Mediator Who Can Help You: Utilizing a third-party mediator will be a lifesaver when it comes to working out conflict and co-parenting issues that you are not able to come to a resolution on with your ex.
4) Stay Calm No Matter What: A challenging, narcissistic ex-spouse will push your buttons, but remember that you have full control over how you react. Sometimes, they may push your buttons just to irritate you. When they see that you are not that bothered…they may not try as hard to push your buttons.
5) Set the Right Example for Your Children: If you need to vent about your ex, do not vent to your children. Some days will be very difficult when it comes to dealing with your ex, but have a friend or family member that you can reach out to when you need someone to talk to about your ex.
Need Help Managing Co-Parenting with Your Narcissistic Ex-Spouse?
Contact Sabra Law Group today to speak to an experienced mediator who can help you deal with your narcissistic ex and develop a parenting plan that is designed to protect the best interest of your children. Call Sabra today at (646) 472-7971.