How to Be Prepared and Knowledgeable for a New York Divorce
The more knowledge you have the better prepared you will be for a New York Divorce. When it comes to divorce, there are so many issues to sort through that it can be difficult to determine where to begin.
The first step is to make a list of all the important things that have to be done. Some of these items are all part of nearly every divorce and these things may include: developing a parenting plan, the division of assets, determine living arrangement and child custody. There are other things that are not so obvious but just as important to handle.
Things to Handle During a Divorce That You May Overlook
- Update all your passwords to your email, banking accounts, and social media accounts. Perhaps you had shared accounts with your spouse or maybe they had the passwords for some reason, however, it is important to keep things separate during the divorce process.
- Remember to handle any medical issues while you still have the same insurance coverage as your rates and deductibles may change when your marital status changes to “single”.
- Request a copy of your credit report. It is imperative to have an understanding of where you stand because you will now need your credit to apply for an apartment, buy a house, or even purchase a car in the future.
- Consider opening up a P.O. Box for mail.
- Make a list of any joint purchases/ventures that may need to be divided in the divorce.
Consult a New York Mediation Attorney for More Information
Before you make any major decisions about divorce, you may want to consult an experienced New York Mediation attorney who can educate you on all of your options. What is right for one person may not be right for another, therefore, it is important to determine what route to take when it comes to your New York divorce.
For some couples, litigation is the only route, for others, mediation is a more cost-effective avenue. In order to truly determine what route is best for you, it is best to know the details and potential ramifications of each route.
Call Sabra at Sabra Law Group today at (646) 472-7971 to set up a Divorce Discovery Session.