Preparing for Divorce in Manhattan: Know What Steps to Take
Are you preparing for divorce in Manhattan? Divorce can be an emotional and time-consuming process that requires proper planning and consideration. Having to deal with a divorce can also be a complicated process. Use the tips below to plan and prepare for your divorce:
- Give your divorce careful consideration before making any final decisions – it is best to make the final decision on divorce when you are calm and can think clearly. Divorce should not be taken lightly and it is tough to change your mind once your spouse has been served with divorce papers.
- Gather relevant financial documents – make sure you can gather bank statements, any investment account information, any real estate owned, tax returns and any other important financial documents that may be pertinent.
- Handle any important business or personal transactions that require spending larger sums of money – if you have equipment that you must purchase for your business or need a new car, it may be more feasible to do this before the divorce as funds may not so readily available during or after the divorce. This is recommended in the event that one spouse decides to be revengeful and deplete savings or sell the house.
- Discuss the child custody and living arrangements – before filing for divorce, it is a good idea to have a better understanding of what life changes the divorce will bring for you and your children; so it best to discuss where the children will live after the divorce.
- Consult an attorney about child custody matters – it is best to talk to a Manhattan divorce mediation attorney or divorce lawyer who can guide you on difficult custody matters
- Gather your support system – going through a divorce is never an easy process so you will need all the support you can get. Instead of hiding matters from close family and friends, it may help to disclose what you are going through so they can be there for you when you need it the most. There may be times when you need a babysitter or just someone who can listen and be supportive.
Preparing for Divorce in Manhattan? Consult a Divorce Mediation Lawyer for Guidance.
Consult the Sabra Law Group with any questions regarding the divorce process and schedule a confidential consultation by calling (646) 472-7971.