Important Questions to Ask Before Filing for Divorce in New York
Making the decision to get divorced is never an easy one. It should however, be a well-thought out decision. You should never take making such a critical decision lightly.
You may be confused, angry and frustrated, however, you must think logically and strategically for the best outcome.
Ask Yourself the Below Questions Before Making the Big Decision:
- Do you still love your spouse? Love may not be the answer that saves your marriage, however, it may be a sign that you should still try to salvage your marriage. Every married couple goes through difficult times but that does not mean they end their marriage.
- Has your spouse betrayed you? Has your spouse cheated on you? Has your spouse lied to you? Have you realized that your spouse has been shutting you out and keeping secrets from you? Betrayal can be a difficult pill to swallow. You may have to consider the extent of the betrayal and if you are willing to forgive your spouse or not. You may need the assistance of a family therapist or a relationship coach to help you through this.
- Have you grown apart? Many couples get divorced because they have grown apart. Have you tried to schedule more quality time with your partner to reconnect? Does your spouse respect your interests, dreams and aspirations?
- Is your spouse’s career tearing your marriage apart? Does your spouse travel all the time? Are you left alone to raise the kids while your spouse is never around to partake in family responsibilities? Would your spouse consider traveling less for work or a new career?
- Do you argue all the time? There are many reasons couples argue. Some of these reasons are financial stress, while others are due to lack of respect for each other’s opinions.
- Will you be able to manage on your own financially once you separate? Many couples stay together due to financial reasons. If you are a stay at home mom, are you willing to go back to work in order to support yourself? Have you researched what type of expenses you will have if you were to split?
Consult an Experienced Divorce Mediation Attorney Before Filing for Divorce in New York
If you are unsure about your decision to divorce, it may help you get more clarity by getting answers to your questions about filing for divorce in New York. Contact Sabra Law Group today for a confidential consultation at (646) 472-7971