How to Get Comfortable Talking About Money Matters with Your Future Spouse
One of the most common reasons that marriages end in divorce is due to money or financial matters. The more comfortable you can be at the beginning of a relationship discussing money; the better it will be for sustaining a healthy relationship.
If you are uncomfortable discussing finances with your future spouse, it is best to start with baby steps. If you are planning on getting married, finances are of primary importance to be discussed prior to marriage.
Below Are Some Steps You Can Take to Get Over Your Anxiety When It Comes to Discussing Finances
- Make a List: write down all the important issues that need to be discussed and then write down what your desired outcome is.
- Figure Out the Living Arrangements: determine who will pay for rent or the mortgage and if living expenses will be shared equally or not.
- Don’t Discuss All the Finances in One Meeting: pick one aspect of finances to discuss and come to an agreement on that before moving on to the next topic. By approaching the situation in a systematic way, it will eliminate confusion and conflict. Once you have tackled a difficult topic, set up another day to discuss the next topic.
- Consult with a Financial Planner: a financial planner may be able to best guide you on how to maximize your money and grow it. They may also be able to advise you on investment vehicles that are aligned with your comfort level.
- Determine if a Prenup is Necessary: have a candid discussion prior to getting married about a Prenuptial Agreement and whether it makes sense to have one. If you and your partner are not sure if a Prenuptial Agreement is right for you or why you would consider having one, read our blog article about that here and here and consult an experienced New York Prenup Attorney who can help you to understand whether a Prenup is appropriate for you and your partner.
Couples who communicate openly with each other are more likely to stay together. This is why it is important to discuss even the most difficult topics. Furthermore, once you have had this conversation a few times, it will become easier to have these types of conversations in the future.
Do You Have Questions About Money Matters or Prenuptial Agreements?
Contact Sabra Law Group today for a confidential consultation at (646) 472-7971. Sabra has years of experience helping couples setting up the right type of Prenup for their lifestyle. Call her now ar 646-472-7971.