How to Choose the Right Divorce Mediator in Manhattan
If you are going through a divorce, it is essential to choose the right divorce mediator for your circumstances. It is important to work with a divorce mediator that you respect, like and who is highly qualified to mediate on your behalf.
Some Important Questions to Consider When Hiring a Divorce Mediator in Manhattan:
- What training does the divorce mediator have? Does the divorce mediator have any specialized certifications?
- How many years experience does the mediator have?
- Does the mediator focus specifically on divorce mediation or do they also handle business disputes?
- Is the divorce mediator viewed as an authority in their industry? Have they published any books or served on any panels regarding divorce and mediation?
- Make sure the mediator’s philosophy and style of mediation is in line with your comfort level and beliefs. Some divorce mediators are highly directive yet others take a more facilitative approach. When you are looking to hire a mediator, it is important to ask them how they approach the mediation process.
- Ask the mediator if they have a website, blog, or any publications that they have published so you can get a feel for their credentials and expertise.
- How did you feel after the initial consultation? In order to work with a divorce mediator during a stressful divorce, it is critical that you feel comfortable around them and have some level of trust.
- Ask the divorce mediator about their fee structure and what the upfront retainer will be. Each mediator may have different ways of handling fees and the retainer, it is best to have a clear understanding of the financial aspect prior to signing an agreement.
- Ask the mediator if they have experience handling divorce mediation cases similar to yours and what the outcome of those cases was.
- Ask the divorce mediator if they charge for an initial consultation or if they offer a free consultation. In some cases, they may charge a fee but if you retain their services, they may be wiling to apply the payment towards the retainer. Each mediator may handle this differently so it is a good idea to ask them when you are booking the initial consultation meeting.
Gauge your level of comfort around the divorce mediator. If your research and fact-finding is in line with your requirements, then follow your instincts and move forward with establishing a business relationship with the divorce mediator.
Experienced, Savvy Divorce Mediator in Manhattan
If you are looking for a divorce mediator that has handled hundreds of divorce mediation cases in Manhattan, and is an authority figure on divorce mediation, contact Sabra Sasson at Sabra Law Group today at (646) 472-7971. She is the co-author of the #1 Best Selling book Success From the Heart: 35 True Stories of Authentic Transformation, she is the co-author of Onward and Upward: Guide for Getting Through New York Divorce & Family Law Issues, a comprehensive resource for people going through or considering divorce in New York. Sabra is also the author of the upcoming book, The Harmonious Divorce: 4-Step Process to Uncoupling.