Handling Holiday Child Custody Arrangements in Manhattan
With the holidays quickly approaching, there are so many things to handle. One of the most important things to handle is child custody arrangements for the holidays.
Below are some tips on handling child custody arrangements in Manhattan
- Plan ahead: never wait until the last minute to sort out child custody arrangements with your ex. The sooner you start planning, the better. Hopefully, you already have a written schedule of custody for your children throughout the year. However, for some reason, if you don’t, the first step should be to agree on a schedule for child custody.
- Take your children’s wishes into consideration: If your children are old enough to be in middle school or high school, they may have some excursions in mind. Ask your children if there is something specific they would enjoy doing during the winter break. This will help you plan accordingly when it comes to custody. Your child may have a friend’s birthday party they want to attend and you book a family vacation without consulting them; they will not be happy.
- Don’t micro-manage what your ex does when he/she is with your children. If you are too busy constantly nagging your ex, you will be missing quality time with your children. It is hard to tell your ex who to bring around or not when your children are over, so choose your battles wisely.
- Be more concerned with making your own winter plans, rather than be obsessed about what your ex is doing. Your ex may have an extravagant trip planned with his/her significant other. If you show jealously or try to interfere with their plans, it will only create more conflict. The holidays are stressful enough without creating unnecessary conflict. Spend your time focusing on your plans and what you can do with the children to have a memorable holiday season. Create your own experiences and memories that are just as fabulous as your ex’s activities.
- When you do have to see your ex, be polite and respectful. Even if your ex can frustrate you, don’t let it be seen. The more you show your frustration, the more your ex will irritate you. Set the example and be the kind of person that you would want exemplify for your children. It is essential to remember that your children may be in the background, listening to your conversations.
If you need to alter your child custody arrangements in Manhattan, call Sabra Law Group today at (646) 472-7971. And we can help you with creating or altering parenting plans. Give us a call today.