What You Can Do to Prepare for Your Divorce in Manhattan
A high number of couples apply for divorce in New York every year. The court process can be lengthy, time-consuming, and expensive. There are some things that you can do to help yourself to prepare so that the process goes more smoothly.
1. Make a list of property. Begin by writing a list of all of the property that the two of you own, both jointly and separately. Also, do your best to put a value to each item, the date that the property was acquired and the source of funds used to acquire them. This list can include real property, vehicles, furnishings, and any additional property that may have any type of value. Getting this list done ahead of time can save you hassle later on because all assets must be identified.
2. Prepare a financial packet. List all accounts, both joint and individual, that are owned by you and your spouse along with the value, the date that they were created and even including the source of funding. This can include bank accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, and the like.
3. Make a list of your goals. It's important to draw up some type of plan of what you expect to accomplish with the divorce. Make sure you take into account how you will live and care for yourself and any children.
4. Consider the children. Decide which type of custody will work not only for you and your spouse, but what is in the best interest of any children that you have. List any responsibilities and activities that you regularly have involving the children.
5. Consider mediation. If you and your spouse are in general agreement about the divorce but could use some help with making fair and amicable decisions together, mediation may be a good choice for you. Mediation may help the two of you come to more agreeable solutions and at substantial cost savings compared with going to court and paying attorney fees and time off from work.
6. Always be honest. Whether you work with a mediator or go to court, it's best to be open and up-front at all times.
Getting a divorce in New York doesn't have to leave you financially and emotionally devastated. Get the mediation information and assistance that you need from Sabra Law Group. Give us a call at (646) 472-7971 for help in preparing for the next steps.