Important Considerations When Purchasing Your First Condo in Manhattan
Manhattan has an abundance of properties and therefore condo hunting can be quite a daunting task. It is best to make a list of your must haves as well as a list of questions to ask that will help you eliminate properties that do not meet your specific criteria.
Below is a list of questions to ask that you may have not considered:
- Is the garage underground or on floors above ground? With extreme weather conditions such as hurricanes and storm surges, it is important to consider your safety and the safety of your vehicles.
- Are there security cameras throughout the premises? Not only should there be security cameras in the elevators or common areas but also in the garage.For many people, safety is a top priority and condo buildings with security cameras throughout may deter criminal activity or at least capture it on camera so it is able to research the situation and resolve the matter.
- What are the extra fees/charges to use the private party room or other amenities? If you are an entrepreneur and frequently need to use the private party room for business events, it makes sense to determine what additional costs you will be expected to pay out of pocket to reserve the room.
- What do the online reviews disclose about the property? It is important to do your research first and read the reviews about the building prior to setting an appointment to view the building and units.While some reviews are exaggerated; you may see a common theme throughout, which may be an indication of a real problem.
- If you are new to Manhattan, it is important to ask questions about the neighborhood?Where is the closest grocery store? Dog grooming place? Nail salon? Public transportation? Restaurants? Dry Cleaning? Parks? Playgrounds? Places of worship? Police station? Hospital?
- Consider checking the crime rate in the neighborhood where you are seeking to buy a condo.As we know, a big city like Manhattan can have crime in any neighborhood, there are certain areas that are higher in crime than others.If safety is a high priority, then take the time to do your due diligence prior to signing that real estate contract.
Purchasing Your First Condo in Manhattan?
Whether you have found your dream condo in Manhattan or just beginning your search, contact our office for assistance with your real estate closing and guidance during your search and negotiations. You can count on the expertise and experience of Sabra Sasson, Manhattan real estate attorney. Contact Sabra Law Group today at (646) 472-7971.